“The best way to illuminate the future is with the lamp of experience”—Patrick Henry
If any of the following describes you, Acumen Healthcare can help:
• Want to open an ambulatory surgery center (ASC) but don’t know where to begin?
• Have an existing ASC that needs direction, support or a fresh perspective?
• Have an existing ASC that needs business help (billing, coding, collections, systems)?
• Need help with your state inspection, Medicare survey or accreditation?
• Have an outpatient center that requires syndication or partnership that needs restructuring?
These are just a few of the challenges that can arise if you are involved with an ASC. Acumen Healthcare was created to address these challenges. Acumen’s founders have grown up with the outpatient surgery industry and have worked with over 150 individual ambulatory surgery centers. Acumen has a team of professionals that together has over 100 years experience in the industry and we would like to put this experience to work for you. We are not a publicly-traded company, nor are we trying to be one, so our only agenda is your Center.
- Feasibility analysis
- Architectural and design input and equipment needs analysis
- Organize and structure the partnership or joint venture with outside legal counsel
- Prepare syndication documents (w/ outside legal counsel) and sell the syndication
- Initial ordering of equipment, instruments, drugs and med/surg supplies
- Assist in obtaining financing (if necessary) for land, building and equipment
- Recruit, train and supervise Center staff (nursing and front office)
- Advise Center on purchase of appropriate MIS & electronic billing systems
- Establish and maintain Center fee schedule
- Secure cost-effective malpractice liability and general business insurance
- Provide and update Center policies and procedures (clinical and front office)
- Ensure Center meets and stays current on all regulatory obligations
- Secure approval of Center for Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement
- Provide assistance and guidelines for ASC accreditation (AAAHC or JCAHO)
- Supervise wage and salary program, employee benefits and payroll functions
- Personnel management – Handle the “people issues”- morale, focus and teamwork
- Assist in maintaining effective QA, UR and risk management programs
- Provide/implement access to benchmarking and “best practices” methods
- Coordinate/supervise A and R billing and collections – days in A and R, less than 50
- Negotiate payor contracts – PPOs, HMOs and other managed care entities
- Provide access to group purchasing contracts for med/surg supplies and equipment
- Analyze equipment needs with surgeons and center management for effective purchasing
- Accounts payable, inventory control and other cost management functions
- Coordinate provision of all legal services to minimize unnecessary legal bills
- Direct support for physician sales and marketing efforts
- Work with physician partners to maximize support for the Center
- Provide accounting, financial statements and relevant management reports
- Oversee partnership accounting, distributions and tax return filings
- Advise/assist on operational partnership issues – buy ins, buy outs, etc.